Boots to Boats Adventures
Jun 20, 2016 01:12PM
● By Ryan Frisch
To celebrate its centennial in 2016, the National Park Service imagined a link between Vermont’s Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park and New Hampshire’s Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site. “Boots to Boats” is a series of hikes and paddles highlighting two National Parks, the Appalachian National Scenic Trail and the Connecticut River National Blueway. Your Boots to Boats adventure could include up to 21 miles of glorious hiking through forest and mountain, and 20 miles paddling down an awesome river.
But you don’t have to do it all. You're invited to join in this celebration by walking or paddling any amount of the trail.
- Featuring 2 amazing parks, 1 scenic trail, and 1 national blueway.
- You're invited to join in this celebration by walking or paddling any amount of the trail.
- All ages and fitness levels are invited to experience a Boots to Boats adventure.
- Link to hiking and boating descriptions on the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Historic Park website to craft your adventure or participate in the organized activities.
- Call (802) 457-3368 x222 with questions.
Topping and Tailing the Trail: Hiking in the two parks
Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park in Woodstock,Vermont offers more than 20 miles of walking trails, including seven miles of wide carriage roads—no motor vehicles or bicycles allowed—through historic forests on Mount Tom. Find a map of the park online.Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish, New Hampshire offers a self-guided nature trail and a scenic hiking trail through 80 acres of forest, as well as the chance to stroll in beautiful gardens featuring inspirational sculptures. Find a map of the park online.
Hiking on the Appalachian Trail between the two parks...
Seven short sections of the AT, from two to five miles one-way, connect Woodstock and Norwich, Vermont along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (AT).
Ranger-led hikes on the Appalachian Trail - Saturdays, all hikes start at 9:30am: June 18, July 2, July 16, August 6, August 20, September 3, September 17, and October 1. (Visit www.nps.gov/mabi/boots-to-boats-adventures.htm to find more details.)