Meet Up With The L.L. Bean West Lebanon Outing and Adventure Club
Jul 17, 2018 12:01PM
● By Linda Ditch
- Camping with Kids Clinic on July 26: Family camping is a great way to unplug your family and spend time together. Experts share tips and gear that will help make your family outing more enjoyable.
- Wildlife Tracking 101 Clinic on July 27: Have you ever come upon a track in the woods and wondered who made it or what happened? Experts will teach you where to look and how to identify the tracks and traces that animals leave behind.
- Velvet Rocks Shelter Cleanup on July 28: You’re probably aware that the Appalachian Trail goes through downtown Hanover, but you may not know where this landmark trail leaves town and heads into the wilderness. You can join a hiking excursion, departing from The Co-op by Hanover High School and entering a world usually seen only by Appalachian Trail thru-hikers. You’ll hike 1.5 miles each way (3 miles round trip) to the Velvet Rocks Shelter, a place that hundreds of hikers call home for the night each year. On the journey, you’ll clear this section of trail for the busy hiking season ahead. Please be sure to wear appropriate clothing; the trip is on, rain or shine, and it will likely be muddy. Also, bring a small daypack with extra clothes, snacks, water, and any medications you may need, plus a camera or binoculars if you have them. Ages 8 and up are welcome.
- Outdoor Adventures with Your Dog on August 2: Learn about tips, tricks, and gear that will help better prepare you to get out on the trails with your four-legged friend.
- Smartphone Photography Clinic on August 3: Work with expert staff to learn how to capture better images on your phone and how to more effectively share the story of your life.
- Hike French’s Ledges on August 4: In partnership with the Green Mountain Club, you will hike the 1.5-mile trail that leads to stunning views from the exposed peak of French’s Ledges. The scenery from the top offers spectacular 360-degree views of Croydon and Grantham Mountains, Mt. Ascutney, and the village of Meriden. This is a perfect hike for those looking to explore new trails and meet new people. ACTIVITY LEVEL: Moderate. WHERE TO MEET: The middle parking lot on Columbus Jordan Road near Yellow Blazes. WHAT TO BRING: Weather-appropriate clothing (layers, no cotton), hiking shoes or boots, water, snacks, small daypack with extra clothes, personal medications. OPTIONAL RECOMMENDED ITEMS: Sunscreen, insect repellent, camera.
To register for activities, go to the group’s page via the L.L. Bean website (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1000001734?nav=ln).