Spring Cleaning: Wash Off Winter’s Grit And Grime
Homemade All-Natural Cleaner
Put this natural cleaning recipe from Better Homes & Gardens.com to work as an all-purpose cleaner for bathrooms, kitchens, and more. Plus, the natural cleaning recipe reduces germs and leaves the whole room smelling fresh and clean.
- 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon unscented liquid Castile soap
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 cups water
Add all ingredients to a 24-ounce spray bottle; shake before use. For an extra boost when removing mildew and soap buildup, spray first, then sprinkle on baking soda and scrub with a sponge.
Helpful Hint: Never use vinegar solutions on stone surfaces such as granite or marble, cast iron, aluminum, or waxed surfaces. The acid in the vinegar can etch, pit, and strip finishes or otherwise damage these surfaces.
When you’re ready to start to work, use this cleaning checklist:
- Wash windows and clean window screens
- Wash window coverings and shower curtain
- Scrub bathtubs and showers
- Wash walls, door frames, window sills, and baseboards
- Shampoo carpets and area rugs
- Clean wood and tile floors, including grout
- Clean out closets, cabinets, and other storage areas
- Clean under and behind large appliances
- Wipe down cabinets, inside and out
- Wipe down inside of the refrigerator, freezer, and microwave
- Clean the oven, burners, and stovetop